Efficient IGRT Workflow
With a workflow designed to be familiar to that of a linear accelerator – the Mevion system offers a streamlined clinical experience, including oncology user-friendly screens and linac-like controls to provide a clinical environment identical to treatment delivered by linear accelerators. This reduces learning time and speeds up clinical ramp-up.
In addition, Mevion integrates with all of the major software manufacturers in radiation therapy for treatment planning and oncology information systems (OIS) including Varian Medical Systems, Elekta, RaySearch and Philips. The OIS system connectivity provides full patient treatment scheduling, data transfer, treatment, verification, and recording capabilities.
3D Imaging Options and Surface Tracking
Proton therapy systems are designed for a >20 year life-span, during which clinical needs and IGPT technologies can advance dramatically. While other proton manufacturers provide a locked-in solution built into their system. This can freeze your imaging and positioning capabilities while the industry progresses into the future. Mevion is designed with a unique open architecture to keep your imaging and positioning solutions current with the future advancements and evolution in IGPT. With the potential for FLASH therapy, hypofractionation, or adaptive therapy disrupting the industry – a system that keeps you agile and upgradable is critical to your proton therapy decision.
Newly launched this year and in use at Maastro Proton Therapy, the ceiling rail-mounted ImagingRing CBCT provides integrated daily 3D volumetric imaging.
- Full 360 rotational imaging is available for highest image quality, or partial scans are possible for faster imaging.
- Ultra-large field of view to fully assess positioning nearby anatomy.
Two of Mevion’s newest facilities will be integrating full diagnostic CT imaging integrated to the proton workflow.
- The Siemens SOMATOM Definition Edge system provides the diagnostic image quality to support adaptive re-planning.
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital will be the first center with this imaging capability and will be treating clinically in 2020.
The Airo Mobile CT system is in clinical use at UF Health Cancer Center at Orlando Health and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital.
- Extra-large bore size (107 cm) and extra-small footprint (1.5m2) allows for a fully adaptable clinical setup
- Full scan volumes of D 50 x100 cm coupled with full Hounsfield soft tissue imaging
The Catalyst PT surface tracking is new to Mevion systems this year and is in use at Maastro Proton Therapy in the Netherlands.
- Integration with the Mevion system enables accurate positioning and continuous monitoring of patients during treatment.
- Integrated patient treatment and CBCT workflow for high confidence patient positioning.
Diagnostic Image Quality
A transformative approach to image-guided patient positioning
Integral to the MEVION S250 Series, the Verity™ image-guided patient positioning system realizes the full potential of high-quality imaging necessary for precise adaptive proton therapy delivering efficient 2D/3D and 3D/3D image registration. By incorporating a diagnostic quality CT scanner inside the treatment room, along with state-of- the-art stereotactic registration and tracking technology, Verity increases treatment visibility, flexibility, predictability and adaptability to the level demanded by advanced proton therapy. The result is a truly adaptive patient positioning system that is as accurate and reliable as its name.
With great precision comes great adaptability
It is the high precision of the Bragg peak — the reason why proton therapy is regarded as an optimal means of delivering therapeutic radiation — that can present the greatest challenge to clinicians. Image quality and patient positioning accuracy are paramount when any anatomical changes can translate to treatment delivery outside of the prescribed treatment field. Verity is designed to mirror the workflow in conventional radiation therapy, allowing the therapist to move seamlessly and most importantly, confidently from patient setup, image acquisition, registration, patient positioning and verification to treatment.
The Mevion Verity image guidance and patient positioning technology has been radically transformed to meet the dynamic, three-dimensional demands of adaptive proton therapy, supporting higher resolution diagnostic images and more powerful localization tools to ensure the most precise treatment delivery.
Precise Patient Positioning
Mevion has been working to expand the options for patient immobilization for our customers. Since Mevion systems are embedded into existing radiation departments, it is our goal to work with hospitals to match their existing immobilization approaches. This year 3 new couches will be available on the Mevion system.
- New, thinner couchtop from Qfix enables smaller airgap from posterior beams.
- Uniform homogenous design simplifies treatment planning compared to rail version.
- Interchangeable inserts for full range of proton therapy treatments
- No rails or junctions in the treatment area to help facilitate better dose delivery and target coverage
- Large treatment area of 64.9” (164.8 cm)
- Utilizes Prodigy™ 2 indexing at 7 cm increments
- Under validation for compatibility with the Mevion proton therapy systems
- Orfit has developed a brand new proton couch with a unique approach of fully integrated inserts.
- A gradually tapered support enables a minimal airgap at the distal end of the couch.
- FDA Cleared - April 2020
- Fully validated with Mevion proton therapy systems
The Mevion's robotic couch enables 6 degrees of freedom patient positioning. The couch integrates with proton specific couch tops with indexed immobilization. The couch rotation range is 270 degrees, which combines with the precise gantry rotation provides access to typical clinical angles. This unique design ensures accuracy, stability, and optimal workflow. Couch motion is controlled and fully programmed to delivery smooth, highly precise patient positioning.